Step inside Alberta Ballet’s studios and find out why this historic former train station is such a good fit for a ballet company to train, create and rehearse.
Exhibits planned on site:
Drop in for a Self-guided tour, or register to view a master class, taught by Alberta Ballet Artists to the Professional Graduate students in training at Alberta Ballet School. Master class times available: 10:00 am / 11:00 am / 12:00 pm / 1:00 pm / 2:00 pm / 3:00 pm (Space is limited for this activity, so please click here to pre-register)
Pre-registration to view master class is required (click here to use this link). Maximum capacity is 25.
The Nat Christie Centre has been the home to Alberta Ballet since 1990. When it was first constructed in 1905, the building, then known as St. Mary’s Parish Hall, accommodated recitals, concerts, and theatrical performances and was a centre of French Catholic cultural life.
In 1911, the Hall was sold to Canadian Northern Railway (later CN Rail). CNoR adapted the building to be a train station. The wooden platform and canopy running along the east side of the building. (The old tracks can still be seen in the bridge behind the lot.)
In 1987, the building returned to its cultural roots by housing Calgary City Ballet. Calgary City Ballet merged with Alberta Ballet in 1990.
Year Built: 1905
Men & Women